It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

So, following on from another thread, I have changed my mind on portable device from a GPDWIN2, to a gaming laptop. The one that I was looking at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-GL502VS-FY385T-15-6-inch-Gaming-Titanium/dp/B073WZGH69/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519642468&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=ASUS%2B15%22%2BROG%2BSTRIX%2BGL502VM%2BFull%2BHD%2BGTX%2B1060%2BG-SYNC&th=1

Seems to be pretty good, weight is 2kg which was before quite an issue for gaming laptops (coming in at 10kg!). Some questions though, in addition to anyone having any comments on the given machine.
Some reviews mention laptop running hot, this concerns me a little, does anyone have any experience of this, mitigation suggestions.
Also, is it worth the £600 more to go for 1070 and i7. Seems a big jump in price for that (although the i7 alone seems to up the price by £300).

For me, I don't generally do last release games, although Witcher 3 era is not out of the question. Obviously not going to full settings out of it, but it should run it at reasonable settings?
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Witcher 3 with gtx 1060 6GB, 1080p ultra gives about 37fps, I have researched this for a long time :)

I don't like Asus laptops and have read horror stories about dying after warranty ends. How is the Asus service in the UK? In a lot of countries, they use 3rd party service, and they will do anything to avoid the warranty.

In this price point, is there a good Dell like 7577 or similar?
I can vouch for the capabilities of Asus ROG laptops as powerful gaming machines (post about my new gaming machine), and a GeForce 1060 (the same as mine) should be more than capable of giving you a high FPS count for the majority of games. Fyi, DOOM gets 100+ FPS almost all the time (with a Core i7 though). And no: this thing DOES NOT overheat :-P

I still have to experience how well The Witcher 3 runs though (it's on my list, my long, fat, horribly endless list of things to play before I fucking die of old age)...
Post edited February 26, 2018 by KingofGnG
greeklover: Witcher 3 with gtx 1060 6GB, 1080p ultra gives about 37fps, I have researched this for a long time :)

I don't like Asus laptops and have read horror stories about dying after warranty ends. How is the Asus service in the UK? In a lot of countries, they use 3rd party service, and they will do anything to avoid the warranty.

In this price point, is there a good Dell like 7577 or similar?
Thanks, so yes, effectively running it at medium settings should have a framerate which is usable.

As for Asus, well we all have bad stories about all the companies out there, its always hit and miss. I have two monitors from Asus, and they have been great. I have a work laptop from dell and its a real piece of rubbish. Thats not totally encompassing, just what I have experienced.
KingofGnG: I can vouch for the capabilities of Asus ROG laptops as powerful gaming machines (post about my new gaming machine), and a GeForce 1060 (the same as mine) should be more than capable of giving you a high FPS count for the majority of games. Fyi, DOOM gets 100+ FPS almost all the time (with a Core i7 though). And no: this thing DOES NOT overheat :-P

I still have to experience how well The Witcher 3 runs though (it's on my list, my long, fat, horribly endless list of things to play before I fucking die of old age)...
Thats good to know, overheating is one of my main concerns. I would be using it on long train journeys, as have to travel a bit in the future. So to follow up, is the i7 one better value considering it is £420 more? I would of course be putting at least another 8gb in, maybe 16gb.
Post edited February 26, 2018 by nightcraw1er.488
I'll tell you in a couple of days. Just bought the exact same model for my wife.
How about a Ryzen 7 Desktop CPU?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-GL702ZC-GC104T-17-3-inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B073Q4G661

It's perfect for development, not just gaming. The battery doesn't last long, but that is expected.
nVidia 1060 is faster than RX580 though.

I own this laptop three months now.
I run Arch Linux instead of that Windows 10 it came with and I have already three virtual machines running on it.
As expected it gets hot in games. The exact temperatures depend on how graphic intesive a game is. I use a cooling pad for better thermal management.

All gaming laptops get hot in games. It's something we have to accept.
greeklover: I don't like Asus laptops and have read horror stories about dying after warranty ends. How is the Asus service in the UK? In a lot of countries, they use 3rd party service, and they will do anything to avoid the warranty.
Since I'm in a position that I see many malfunctioning systems, I may assure you that the majority of them are very badly treated by their owners. Noone will accept that, but if you see them up close, there is no doubt about that bad treatment.

Asus has no warranty service in Greece (no third parties too). The systems should be sent (if I remember correctly) to Poland.
Post edited February 26, 2018 by vanchann
mechmouse: I'll tell you in a couple of days. Just bought the exact same model for my wife.
Yes, would be good to hear your experiences, thanks.
vanchann: How about a Ryzen 7 Desktop CPU?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-GL702ZC-GC104T-17-3-inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B073Q4G661

It's perfect for development, not just gaming. The battery doesn't last long, but that is expected.
nVidia 1060 is faster than RX580 though.

I own this laptop three months now.
I run Arch Linux instead of that Windows 10 it came with and I have already three virtual machines running on it.
As expected it gets hot in games. The exact temperatures depend on how graphic intesive a game is. I use a cooling pad for better thermal management.

All gaming laptops get hot in games. It's something we have to accept.
Mmm, never been a fan of AMD. I know that Freesync and AMD is cheaper than Nvidia, but I have used Nvidia for years and they have been solid, so would rather stick with them. Also, my main desktop monitor is a Nvidia gsync as well.

And for the price of that one I could get the i7 model with 1060, with the weight being around 1kg lighter (as I will only really be using it on the move weight is a factor).

The cooling pad is a great idea, just noticed them on amazon also, although not sure if that would help much on the move.
Post edited February 26, 2018 by nightcraw1er.488
nightcraw1er.488: Mmm, never been a fan of AMD. I know that Freesync and AMD is cheaper than Nvidia, but I have used Nvidia for years and they have been solid, so would rather stick with them. Also, my main desktop monitor is a Nvidia gsync as well.

And for the price of that one I could get the i7 model with 1060, with the weight being around 1kg lighter (as I will only really be using it on the move weight is a factor).

The cooling pad is a great idea, just noticed them on amazon also, although not sure if that would help much on the move.
That's fine.

I'd just like to mention though, that the laptop i7 versions are cut down versions of the desktop i7 CPUs. On the other hand Ryzen 7 is the same desktop CPU.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ/3647vsm211019
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ/3917vsm211019

By selecting an i7 based model, you get a faster GPU in exchange of a slower CPU.
It's just a matter of user's requirements.
This is what you want. Big and juicy:p

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B06Y4GZS9C/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519654936&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Laptop+gtx+1060+6GB&dpPl=1&dpID=41v2oytxs9L&ref=plSrch
nightcraw1er.488: Thats good to know, overheating is one of my main concerns. I would be using it on long train journeys, as have to travel a bit in the future. So to follow up, is the i7 one better value considering it is £420 more? I would of course be putting at least another 8gb in, maybe 16gb.
Heh, dunno. I would go for 16GB of RAM though: it's far more important and not just for gaming these days....
nm, found it. So if I put that in right it's roughly $1,200.00.

Seems to me you should be able to do a little better than 1060 for that price but I might be wrong. Gonna look at prices at US Amazon to see.

Nope. Damn I would've thought you most certainly could at least do better than 8GB of RAM but all of those with 16GB or RAM that I looked at for about the same price lowered the SSD size to 128 or the GPU to the 1050ti.

Guess I forgot about the price surge recently due to the miners. Must be affecting laptops too. Damned miners.

ADDED: Oh wait.... the one in your link only has a 128GB SSD. I thought it had a 256??? Did you change it?
Post edited February 26, 2018 by OldFatGuy
My personal feeling is that if you do go for a 1070 instead of a 1060, then you should consider a larger (unfortunately heavier) chassis that has better built-in cooling. These things are much better cooling-wise than they used to be, but still. My big-chassis 17" 1070-powered unit runs cool and quiet, but it's also sized like an 18" and weighs 10 pounds (~4.5kg) including the brick. A 15.6" unit probably saves 1-2 kg.

If you go the cooling pad route, then add the size and weight of that extra hardware to your overall rig specs when trying to find the right size laptop for you. For instance, if you plan to game on the road like I do, then you're possibly going to need to tote the cooling pad with you and will need to take it into consideration when figuring out your traveling load.
@nightcraw1er.488: If i was buying for myself there i'd probably go for this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06Y4GZS9C/ £1,099.00

i7-7700HQ, GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4 2400MHZ, 256GB SSD, 15.6" Full HD IPS, Win 10 Home, 4-cell Li-ion Battery (3220 mAh) - up to 7 hours battery life, 2.7 kg.

The only thing needed is hard disk - you could add one to laptop or buy external USB HDD.
PainOfSalvation: @nightcraw1er.488: If i was buying for myself there i'd probably go for this one:

i7-7700HQ, GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4 2400MHZ, 256GB SSD, 15.6" Full HD IPS, Win 10 Home, 4-cell Li-ion Battery (3220 mAh) - up to 7 hours battery life, 2.7 kg.

The only thing needed is hard disk - you could add one to laptop or buy external USB HDD.
Is this the same in the link I posted or are there any differences?
PainOfSalvation: @nightcraw1er.488: If i was buying for myself there i'd probably go for this one:

greeklover: Is this the same in the link I posted or are there any differences?
Damn dude, you were faster! Obey your master! :P

Didn't see you posted, i opened up new post an hour ago and started googling amazon.co.uk for deals. :P